5.18.2011

Why Even Have a Resume?

-So, why a resume? There are many reasons to keep a valid and updated resume. Naturally, the first reason is to look for work. Unemployment is very high and don’t let the numbers fool. The perception of its dropping is only because folks have run out of benefits and are no longer in the system to be counted.
-A second reason is to find new work. Maybe you just need to move on from where you are. While your progression could be from one company to another, it could also easily be within the same organization. Large companies and small often prefer to hire from within. However, even if the folks down the hall know you, they must have documentation of your skills and qualities. Each state’s laws have variation and your resume may be needed to follow those laws to protect you and the company.
-A third and simple reason is also to keep your pulse on your industry and demand for skills. As a former recruiter, I had the resumes of many highly skilled individuals who had no need for another position, but I would call them anyway to let them know what was going on in their field, see if they were interested in investigating my position, and for referrals. More times than I can count, the potential candidates to whom I was speaking knew someone who was recently out of work or looking for a new situation.
-Believe it or not, networking is a fourth and very good reason to have an up-to-date resume. I have personally brought my resume with me on different kinds of meetings: introductions, brainstorming sessions, conversation in my home and so on. It quickly provides a background for the other person. They can know my professional history quickly and have the tools they need for us to move forward in whatever project we are pursuing.
-I have a resume in hardcopy and I have a LinkedIn account (more on that in another post). I work for myself so it would be supposed that I don’t need one. But I keep it at the ready because I work for myself. I need to make sure others know my own employment history and experience so I can gain clients.

No comments:

Post a Comment